First Day Home After the Hospital

So I left the hospital around 11:30 and we headed home in a taxi. Felt great to be in the clear warm NY air! Dr. Golfinos and Jessica had stopped by to answer questions and to release me with a good idea of the road ahead. Here are some of my marching orders:

  • I have some prescriptions that I will need to continue to take for a while.
  • I have appointments set up for follow-up with Dr. Golfinos as well as Dr. Andrew Chi, the Chief of Neuro-Oncology at NYU and Co-Director of the NYU Brain Tumor Center with Dr. Golfinos. They advised me to wait to go to Fire Island until after the appointment with Dr. Chi.
  • I need to set an appointment with the plastic surgeon to have my stitches taken out in a week. In the meantime, I have what looks like a headband on my forehead. This I need to continue to protect by wearing a hat when outside.
  • Starting today, I can wash my hair using baby shampoo and letting the water gently wash my scalp. This will be very appreciated to get off the scum from the surgery and some of the remaining dried blood in my hair.
  • As for the lack of sensation on the top of my head, that is because they cut all of the nerve endings when they opened my scalp – the feelings will return over time, but that could take up to a year for full sensitivity to be back to normal.
  • I cannot return to normal heavy activity such as gym etc for 3 months, but can begin lighter activity such as light housework and sexual activity after 4-6 weeks. I can’t lift more than 5 pounds for the next 2 weeks

I already broke the light housework rule by cooking dinner last night, though with Antonio’s help. We went to CVS to pick up my meds and then at Wholefoods and shopped for some basics, nibbling our way through the various departments offering freebies such as dairy-free ice cream and vegetarian sushi rolls. I also stopped at WholeBodies for the baby shampoo.

When we got back to the apartment from the hospital, Don was already working away in the garden. He had had a beautiful rooftop garden but his building decided to redo the roof, so all of his plants had to be removed and he offered to use those to give our front garden a nice facelift – much needed since our building has been under renovation and the garden had been covered with scaffolding for over 6 months and my garden was essentially destroyed during that time. Don spent over 4 hours digging out the old plants and replacing them with a variety of new trees and bushes: a pine tree, a Norwegian spruce, a Japonica, some ground covering, a tall grass and a rose bush. Antonio will be in charge of making sure these thrive – for now, it all looks great (see photos below). Don did all of this work with love for the princely sum of one Pad Thai and a brownie for lunch. Don is amazing!

In the afternoon, I took a long nap on the sofa downstairs, listening to chants and lit a candle in front of the reliquary with the Buddha to add energy to the room.

After dinner, Antonio and I relaxed on the sofa, just enjoying the quiet and touching. Touch is so healing!

Last night, sleeping with Antonio was heaven! I loved holding him and being held by him. Slept like a baby for 9 hours and feeling ready for today. I felt great getting up and wanting to have a normal day, making breakfast and making the bed – simple, ordinary activities that had been off the radar until now.

The sun is shining and I am looking forward to my first visit from Susan Letteney who will come over for lunch.

Don planted the garden  April 15

Don planted the garden -April 15

Andy’s Letter

Previous Post
Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *