Night and Day After Surgery


Let me start by saying that the surgery went very well indeed.

I have no recollection of the procedure other than being rolled into the operating room, but once the anesthesia was administered, within minutes, I was gone! And when I came to, I still don’t recall that Susan Locke was there with Antonio end Miguel to welcome me back to the world. Sorry, Susan!

During the night, it was a bit surreal. As the anesthesia wore off, I was waking up often and when I would look at the clock, it felt like an hour had gone by, but it was only 10 minutes at a time. What a time warp! But I did get some good rest and when the first team came to see me in the morning around 6:30 AM, I was ready for the first round of check-ins. The teams of doctors that came in was interesting. The first team was about 6 guys – all guys and they looked like a photo-shoot from GQ MD Magazine. The next team was 6 women. I asked if this was coincidence or if NYU gender segregates its teams and it turns out that there is no intentional gender segregation. ?

My day was filled with doctors, nurses, the occupational therapist, the physical therapist, Dr. Golfinos and Jessica, Dr. Shah and the social worker, plus the director of patient relations, Jacqueline Kennedy (not in a pillbox hat!) stopping by to make sure all was going well. I had an MRI – all good, though the banging and ringing the day after surgery was tough, lots of blood and blood pressure checks Good news: I’m up and walking. I feel much better and am already much stronger than just 2 days ago. I am trying to conserve energy, so will not be answering messages for a bit and no visitors at the hospital please. Once I am home – probably Thursday,- visitors will be on my list of support I can use. In the meantime, all is going well thanks to an amazing support system of family and friends plus the incredible NYU team Top of the support list: Antonio Pascual, Miguel Moscoso, Raj Patel, Susan Locke, plus Carlos Alejandro Motta and Don Alden,. And Xavier Orellana in Geneva did a sterling job in helping me negotiate the WHO health insurance system. All of these people have gone beyond the call of normal friendship to manage correspondence, help with the healthcare system and open the house on Fire Island! I love you all!

With the occupational therapist, I was able to talk about starting in on the normal stuff of daily living: getting dressed without bending over since I need to be careful about keeping my head up for now. With the PT, I was walking around first with her and then later, I was walking with Antonio and then Miguel. I worked this morning (Wednesday) with the physical therapist and practiced on the stairs with ease,

My biggest complaint is that the meal service was really off yesterday; breakfast arrived after 10, lunch was very late and dinner was not only late, but didn’t include what I had ordered. They already messed up breakfast today.It arrived and it is almost 9 AM. I was starving!

Other complaints from yesterday: when they moved me to my new room from the ICU, I was given the non-windowed bed. No beds with windows are available. And the person in the other bed is a guy in his mid-30s I’m guessing. That’s ok, but he has a 6-month-old baby and the wife, baby and mother-in-law were all here along with his medical team and the noise level was just too much! I had decided that while I am here not to have visitors other than Antonio, Miguel and Susan so that I could rest as much as possible and focus on healing. But with the crew and crying baby, that changed. I did say something, but it is a delicate balance when you have a semi-private room between what both patients need and want. So far today, it is only quiet. Lets see. It’s early!

I also posted a Facebook message last night since a number of people on FB had not yet heard about my situation and many people were wondering based on posts by a few friends wishing me well. So I put up a summary message and it wound up as of 10:40 AM (now) I got 213 likes and 134 comments wishing me well. The likes and messages have come from all over the US, plus Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, France, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Paraguay, the Philippines, Romania, Senegal, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Trinidad and Vietnam. That’s a lot of love and support!

Last night, I slept very well with no sleeping pill. And this morning, I was woken up at 6:30 by the GQ MD team followed by Dr. Shah again. They changed my turban to a much smaller one and told me that the incision is already healing well. I may go home today, but more likely tomorrow.

Miguel is here already and will be covering for me today until 3 – Antonio and Susan will be coming by later.

In the meanwhile, all is going well and I’m feeling very good about progress!

Thanks for all of the amazing love and light still coming my way.

Previous Post
Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *