Having brain tumors is not cheap. I have no idea what the final total will be, but here is what it has cost thus far:
- Hospital in Madrid – just for the room: 1700 Euros ($1939)
- Tests in Madrid: Still awaiting that bill
- Drugs in Madrid: Still awaiting those bills
- Flight for Antonio and me to return directly from Madrid to New York: 2505 Euros ($2857)
- Plastic surgeon at NYU Hospital, Dr. Staffenberg: $35,288
- Pre-surgical clearance, Dr. Shah: $525
- Pre-surgical MRI of my head in NY: $3030
- Inpatient care at NYU Hosptial: $1,913.75
- DNA lab work at NYU Hospital (Esoterix Genetic Laboratories): $200
- Molecular pathology report: $150
- Neuro-anesthesiologist, Ganesh Rambissoon : $6,360
- Aleksandar Beric – testing $3,695
- MRI: $3,910
- Ariane Lewis – consultation in the hospital: $450
- Chest x-ray: $40
- Various tests: $2,271
- Various tests: $3,910
- First visit to Dr. Silverman, radiation oncologist: $328 + $6,490.00
- Making of the mask for radiation: $1,025
- Tests (blood, etc.): $342
- Office visit – no idea what this one was for!: $129
- Co-payment for first drugs related to radiation (my co-payment only): $1161 (full price is nearly $6000 and that is for the 1st of 2 prescriptions, so in the end will be nearly $12,000 full roice just for the 1 prescription)
- NYU Hospital inpatient services: $195,271.89 (this is almost 100 times more expensive than the Spanish hospital bill and for a semi-private room.)
- Dr. Golfinos’s bills (the neuro-surgeon): $ 2,271 + more to come for sure
- Dr. Chi’s bill (the neuro-oncologist): $520 + $129.02 + more to come for sure
- The acupuncturist – he will accept the insurance payment – so no idea!
- Taxis to and from appointments– no idea!
- The doctor of Chinese medicine in Alicante: 75 Euros ($85)
- The homeopathic doctor in NY: $100
Total thus far: $278,548.66 – and this is not even complete! By the end, the total will be well over $300,000!!! Health care is not cheap in the good old USA.
The “good news” is that Medicare covers all inpatient costs and my limit for Aetna is $4807.05- so anything above that amount Aetna will cover 100%.